Associate Professor, Urban Affairs and Planning (UAP)
- Ph.D., Land Use Planning, SUNY College of Environmental Science & Forestry, 1986
- Master of Planning, University of Virginia, 1982
- B.S., Environmental Resource Management, Allegheny College, 1980
- Small Town and Rural Planning
- Land Use Planning
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design
- SPIA 2024: Community Systems Thinking
- UAP 3014: Urban Policy and Planning
- UAP 4914: PUA Senior Seminar
- UAP 5125-5126 MURP Capstone Studio
- UAP 5304: Land Use Planning
- Sonia Hirt (with Diane Zahm) (Ed.), The Urban Wisdom of Jane Jacobs. London and New York: Routledge, 2012.
- Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design as a Problem-Solving Tool (Washington, DC, USDOJ, 2007).
- Designing Safer Communities: A Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design Handbook (Washington, DC: National Crime Prevention Council, 1997).
- “Learning, Translating and Implementing CPTED,” Journal of Architectural and Planning Research 22(4): 284-293 (2005).
- “Environmental Factors Influencing Auto Burglary: A Case Study,” (with S.E. Michael and R.B. Hull) Environment and Behavior 33(3): 368-388 (2001).'
- “Why Protecting the Public Health, Safety and General Welfare Won’t Protect Us From Crime.” In R. Peiser and M. Felson, eds., Reducing Crime Through Real Estate Development and Management. Washington, DC: Urban Land Institute, 1998
- City of Roanoke, City Snapshot and Technical Report, May 2018
- Town of Pulaski, A Streetscape Plan for Pulaski, VA, May 2018
- Town of Blacksburg, Parking Availability and Parking Demand in RM-48, May 2017
- Town of Buchanan, Comprehensive Plan Technical Report and Buildout Analysis, May 2016
- Botetourt County, I-81/Exit 150 Small Area Study, May 2015
- Floyd County, What Would Floyd Be Like . . .? (APA Virginia Chapter Student Planning Award, 2013)
- Montgomery County, Implementing the Village Plans: Best Practices and Recommendations for Zoning (winner of the APA Small Town and Rural Planning Division, Jim Segedy Award, Outstanding Student Project, 2009)