Homeland Security Policy (HSP)
Faculty Coordinator: Patrick Roberts
CPAP offers a graduate certificate in homeland security policy focusing on domestic security and emergency management issues. The certificate serves either as a stand-alone credential of advanced educational achievement for non-degree students or as a supplement to a master’s or doctoral degree. Taking four homeland security courses will introduce students to the complexity and diversity of the homeland security environment. This includes analyzing the terrorist threat and the importance of critical infrastructures; considering questions of hazard mitigation, preparedness, and resilience; and investigating response and recovery strategies and outcomes. Taught by a mix of scholars and practitioners, the certificate addresses issues of homeland security strategy, policy design and implementation, planning, operations, and management across and among governmental and private-sector levels and networks.
The certificate is open to non-degree students as well as degree-seeking graduate students across Virginia Tech. Anyone wishing to apply for admission to the certificate program should use the Virginia Tech Graduate School’s online application system. MPA students may use the certificate as their concentration and reflect upon the certificate and homeland security issues in their portfolio or internship. Ph.D. students may use the certificate as a foundation for dissertation research in homeland security policy and management.
Students must take four courses (12 hours), including three required classes to receive the certificate.
- PAPA 5254: Homeland Security and the Terrorist Threat
- PAPA 6264: Advanced Topic in Policy Systems Management *or when the topic is focused on homeland security
- PAPA 5354: Homeland Security Response and Recovery
Electives (choose one)
- PAPA/STS 6664: Advanced Topics in Science and Technology: Complexity, Emerging Policy, Doctrine, and Reality
- PAPA 6254: Advanced Topics in Homeland Secuirty Policy: Critical Infratructure Protection and Resiliency
- GIA 5514: Global Security
- PAPA 5904/5974: Independent Study, Project and Report