Associate Professor, Center for Public Administration & Policy (CPAP)
- Ph.D., Government, University of Virginia, 2006
- M.A., Political Philosophy, Claremont Graduate University, 2000
- B.A., Political Science, University of Dallas, 1997
- Public management
- Emergency management and disaster governance
- Policy history
- Public sector ethics
- PAPA 6344: Leadership & Management Process Public Administration
- PAPA 6414: Normative Foundations of Public Administration
- Disasters and the American State: How Politicians, Bureaucrats, and the Public Prepare for the Unexpected. New York. Cambridge University Press, 2013.
- Misra, Shalini, Patrick Roberts, and Matthew Rhodes. 2020. “Information Overload, Stress, and Emergency Managerial Thinking.” International Journal of Disaster Risk Reduction: 101762.
- Misra, Shalini, and Patrick Roberts, and Matthew Rhodes. 2020. “The Ecology of Emergency Management Work in the Digital Age,” Perspectives on Public Management and Governance 3 (4): 305-322, https://doi.org/10.1093/ppmgov/gvaa007
- Resh, William G., Gary Hollibaugh, Jr., Patrick Roberts, and Matthew M. Dull. 2020. “Who Isn’t Running American Government: Appointee Vacancies in US Executive Branch Agencies.” Journal of Public Policy, 1-24. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0143814X20000215
- Roberts, Patrick S., Lucia Velotti, and Kris Wernstedt. 2020. “How Public Managers Make Tradeoffs Regarding Lives: Evidence From a Flood Planning Survey Experiment.” Administration & Society: 0095399720944811.
- Roberts, Patrick S. 2019. Natural hazards governance in democratic states with developed economies. In Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Natural Hazard Science (Online). Oxford University Press. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/acrefore/9780199389407.013.135
- “How Emergency Managers (Mis?)Interpret Forecasts,” (with Kris Wernstedt, Joseph Arvai, and Kelly Redmond) Disasters 43(1): 88-109 (2019).
- “Herbert Simon’s Forgotten Legacy for Improving Decision Processes,” (with Kris Wernstedt) International Public Management Journal 22 (4): 591-616 (2018).
- “Decision Biases and Heuristics Among Emergency Managers: Just Like the Public They Manage For?” (with Kris Wernstedt) American Review of Public Administration Vol. 49(3): 292-308 (2018).
- “Why Presidents Sometimes Do Not Use Intelligence Information,” (with Robert P. Saldin) Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 131(4): 779-802 (2017).
- “Managing Uncertainty: Using Climate Forecasts Across a State’s Emergency Management Network,” (with Kris Wernstedt) Natural Hazards Review, 7(3): 1-11 (2016)
- “The Forgotten Lessons of Civil Defense for the Homeland Security Era,” Journal of Policy History, 26 (3): 345-383 (2014).
- “Guarding the Guardians: Oversight Appointees and the Search for Accountability in U.S. Federal Agencies” (with Matthew Dull), Journal of Policy History, 25 (2): 207-239 (2013).
- “Appointee Confirmation and Tenure: The Succession of U.S. Federal Agency Appointees,
- 1989-2009,” (with Matthew Dull, Michael Keeney, and Sang Ok Choi). Public Administration Review, vol. 72, no. 6 (Nov./Dec. 2012): 902-913.
- Emergency management